Friday, May 27, 2011

Lev för Nuet...


It’s about 2pm and I’m sitting at Newark International Airport, officially back in the states! It still hasn’t truly hit me that I’m already going home, of course a very bittersweet feeling. It sounds cliché to say, but it honestly feels like yesterday that I was wearily getting on the airplane to go to Sweden all by myself…
When I think back to how terrified I was at the moment I realized what the reality of going to Europe all on my own felt like, I know that I’ve grown so much during my five months abroad. Although I’ve always loved the idea of backpacking through Europe while living the hostel life, I couldn’t be more grateful to have had the opportunity to actually live abroad for a semester and establish somewhat of a temporary life in Uppsala.
My room!
When I first started telling people that I picked to study abroad in Uppsala, everyone’s initial reactions were “why Sweden?” Of course the more traditional choices are places like France, Spain, or Italy…well, no offense to those countries, but the cheapness of Uppsala’s program gave me the opportunity to not only immerse myself in the unique Swedish culture, but also to travel and briefly experience these more common European destinations as well! I came abroad with every intention of experiencing a new culture, while traveling as much as possible in the process. Looking back on the semester, I’m happy to say that’s exactly what I did! Eleven countries and twenty different cities in about 5 months…rough life right?!
The Swedish culture and laid-back atmosphere of Uppsala left an everlasting mark on my life. Here’s a list of memories that will always be unique to Sweden and I’ll never forget:
1. Since Colorado doesn’t have one (yet) my very first IKEA trip! Not only was IKEA founded in Sweden (obviously making it memorable in that sense), but you can get the BEST and cheapest plate of traditional Swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes, the BEST and cheapest French hotdogs (which I’d describe as a cross between a corn dog and pig-in-a-blanket), and of course the bomb ice cream cone machine! (you can see a video of it below, which is sideways, sry). Clearly good, cheap food was a priority!
Val and I at IKEA with our French hot dogs!!
                            2. Seeing H&M on literally every corner! H&M was also founded in Sweden so it’s memorable in that sense, but the clothing is also somehow better and more fun to shop than the few H&Ms in the states.
                            3. My first grocery shopping experience at ICA (the Swedish grocery store)! I’ll never forget how you can literally get any type of food in tube-form, the awesome ICA candy walls, and of course the cheap but very satisfying ICA frozen pizzas!
Everything in a tube!!
                            4. Swedish fashion definitely takes on it’s own style! The Swedish boys’ haircut (not exactly attractive in my opinion) where they shave the sides but keep the top longer so they can slick it back every once in a while with their hands. The boys’ love for bright red skinny jeans and the girls’ incredibly blonde hair with their bright red lipstick.
                            5. You can always find pre-made sandwiches with baby shrimp as the main component (for some reason the Swedes really like their shrimp), but they never put any type of spread (like mayo or mustard) on the more traditional kinds, which makes for one very dry sandwich if you ask me
                            6. The Swedish language was definitely one of my favorite things about the country! Although it literally sounds like gibberish to a foreigner and is pretty difficult to learn, the few words I picked up on are just so much fun to say! Also, when speaking they stress (with a higher voice tone) certain parts of a word and then tend to just slur all the stressed parts together.
                            7.  I’m positive the nations will be one of the things I miss most about college life in Uppsala. There’s nothing like them in the States and the many times I shared with friends at the nations, whether it was something as simple as grabbing a beer at one of the pubs or a crazy night on the dance floor, are memories that will last me a lifetime.
                            8. Valborg (the Swedish celebration at the end of April to commemorate the beginning of summer time), the way the Swedes drink, the plethora of bikes used in Uppsala (and the skill it takes to ride them during the frigid winter months, sober or drunk haha!)
Sooo many people enjoying the beginning of summer for Valborg!
Champagne party at Varmlands Nation!
9. At most places in Uppsala (like buying tickets at the train station or exchanging money at the local Forex) you can’t just get in line (or the “queue” as it’s referred to in Europe). You have to always remember to take a number! They don’t care if you forgot to take one, but were clearly there before others, they won’t help you if you don’t take a number…they’re very serious about this system, which I learned pretty quick haha!
Overall, I couldn’t be happier with my decision to study in Sweden. Uppsala was a perfect “home base,” offered the cutesiness of a small college town and was very livable!
After traveling all over Europe, I’ve learned to appreciate things we take for granted in the US, that you’d never think are actually a big deal. For instance, you always have to pay to use public bathrooms in Europe (yes, this even includes places like McDonalds, Starbucks, the local train station, etc.). I can’t wait to walk into a public place in the States and pee at my own convenience, instead of worrying about finding spare change to pay for my natural bodily functions! Also, free refills and extra bread or salad with your meal just doesn’t exist in Europe. Kebab (not what Americans traditionally think of on a stick, but more what we call Greek “gyros”) is EVERYWHERE in Europe. So if we ever needed a cheap, quick meal, that’s what we counted on!
Although I know there are tons of other memorable things I’m forgetting at the moment, these are all the things that have especially stood out to me during my time in Sweden and while traveling.
Coming home from this type of amazing experience, I know one of the main questions everyone will want to know is how study abroad changed my life?! This question is hard because there are so many feelings and moments that are difficult to put into words, but here goes…
Before coming to Sweden, I always thought of myself as very independent and strong. My program in Uppsala definitely tested both of these characteristics in me. Because the program was not organized by a bigger, overarching organization (it was just a direct exchange between universities), I initially felt more alone than I think I’ve ever felt in my life. Coming to a foreign country all by myself and living in a corridor where I shared a kitchen and bathroom with three others, but had my own room really tested this so-called independent personality I’d always been so proud of. I quickly realized that in growing up with a sister (my built-in best friend) and then always having roommates in college, I was not very used to being physically by myself for any length of time. After this semester, I’d say I’ve redefined my independence. I’m now perfectly comfortable spending an entire day with just my thoughts and truly enjoy longer periods of alone time!
Also, with the initial shock of independence I had in Uppsala, I quickly realized how much I depend on my family for my own strength. I’m not entirely sure I would’ve survived the first couple weeks in Sweden, if it weren’t for the long comforting talks with my mom, dad, and sister. If anything, I’d say studying abroad really made me appreciate not only the accessibility we have to different things in the US, but even more so the amazing relationships I have with my family and friends back home.
I came abroad expecting to “find myself” in some way (like most people going abroad do, I think). Looking back on the semester as a whole, I wouldn’t necessarily say I’ve “found myself” or really even changed much as a person. What I would say is that I’ve grown as a person overall. I gained a type of independence and strength from my established life in Uppsala and from the way I learned to adjust to Swedish culture. I gained a greater sense of confidence in my ability to think on my toes and figure out situations when the traveling experience doesn’t go exactly as planned (which of course happens more often than not haha!). I gained a sense of appreciation for other cultures and the way they do things (truly realizing that there’s not just one way or even a right way to do something). I realized how YOUNG America is compared to the rest of the world, how prevalent religion is in Europe, and how BIG the world is. And last but most definitely not least, I gained a group of friendships that grew in Uppsala and will now last a lifetime…you guys know who you are!  
My Uppsala peeps!
And of course, the girls!!
LOVE!

And to all of these similar friends back home…thanks for reading!!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this so much! Wow, You are an amazing person and this was beautifully written. I can definitely tell you have grown into an even stronger person and I feel blessed to have you in my life. I'm glad I got to share a small piece of your adventure with you. You are officially a Badass and I love you!

    ReplyDelete